Top Powder Coating FAQs
Powder coating is a fast-growing industry that more and more people are using every day. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive.
What is Powder Coating?
Powder coating is the process of applying a dry powdered form of paint to most metal surfaces and then bonded under high heat in order to create a harder and stronger finish than conventional paint.
HOW LONG DOES A POWDER COAT LAST?
Powder coating finishes last 15-20 years depending on pre-treatment and the type of powder used. Variables such as use, environment, and cleaning chemicals also factor into the overall life span of the paint.
WHAT CAN BE POWDER COATED?
Because powder coating is cured under high heat, any material that can withstand 400°F can be powder coated. Aluminum, bronze, copper, brass, titanium, and steel (including stainless, galvanized, anodized, and e-coat) can all be powder coated.
ARE POWDER COATING PRODUCTS TOXIC?
All of the powders used by Spray-Tech are non-toxic, non-volatile, and completely safe whether being sprayed or stored. These powders can be safely recycled or disposed of at landfills.
DO YOU PROVIDE COLOR SAMPLES AT SPRAY-TECH?
Yes, we have physical color samples here at our facility in Falconer, NY. When needing very specific color hues/tones we recommend you stop into our facility to select a color because colors appearing on a computer, tablet, or phone screens can be skewed.
Benefits and Use
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF POWDER COATING?
• Give your industrial metal product a distinctive look
• Help protect the metal from chipping, scratching, and fading
• Paint is less likely to drip, run or sag
• Create a barrier to help prevent the formation of rust
• Available in a wide range of colors
• More consistent appearance than other coating applications
• Helps extend the useful life of a product – reducing the need for repairs
• Environmentally friendly
• Large capacity powder coating booth available – 10′ x 10′ x 15′
WILL POWDER COATING FILL IN CHIPS/SCRATCHES?
Powder coating has the capability to cover minor scratches and imperfections. As with any finish, the end result will only be as good as the surface it was applied to. Matte and textured powders are more forgiving for surface preparation than smooth or glossy powders.
CAN POWDER COATING BE REPAIRED?
Yes! Powder coats can be repaired with the right process. Never try touching up a powder coat with regular paint.
WHY POWDER COAT INSTEAD OF WET PAINT?
• Powder coating results in a thicker, more even finish
• Powder coats are more durable and longer-lasting
• Powder coat is a one-coat finish – providing a quicker process
• Wet paint is ideal for surfaces that cannot be heated or when an extremely thin coat of paint is required
• Powder coats are more forgiving than wet paint coats
DO YOU PROVIDE POWDER COATING SERVICES FOR VEHICLE RESTORATIONS?
Yes! Many times, the process will involve stripping the manufacturer’s paint completely from the surface using our sandblasting process so that the powder will adhere properly to the material.
WHAT PRE-TREATMENTS ARE USED FOR SURFACE PREPARATION?
• Iron Phosphate
• Zinc Phosphate
WHAT TYPES OF POWDER DO YOU USE?
Spray-Tech has 3 different kinds of powder:
• used for parts requiring superior chemical resistance
• typically cured at lower temperatures than polyester
• can be partially cured for use as a primer
• cannot be exposed to sunlight
• most common used resin for powder coats
• great exterior durability and hardness
• excellent chemical resistance
• fairly easy to cure
• a mix of polyester and epoxy resins
• most special effect coatings are this kind
• primarily for indoor applications
HOW LONG DOES POWDER COAT TAKE TO CURE?
Depending on the material and thickness, powder coats average 30 minutes at 350°F. Your parts are completely cured when received.
DO YOU INSPECT FINAL PRODUCTS?
Yes! Here at Spray-tech we carefully examine finished coats, checking for three important factors: paint thickness, cross-hatch adhesion, and gloss.